Temple Mount Mine Remnants
- VR Nature Vacation -
Madame Marie Curie and her connection to Temple Mount Mine
This VR Getaway has been very inspiring to me because of the insights I have gained about Madame Marie Curie. Madame Curie was born to 2 poor school teachers, but they inspired in her a passion for learning. She meet her husband who was also a man of science and together they started a fascinating journey in Chemistry of pulling Radium from Uranium. Unfortunately he passed away only a few years into their groundbreaking research. Instead of giving up, she pushed harder. She liked the Temple Mount mine the best for its Uranium Ore was much more concentrated and she even braved the journey here and lived at the mine for a time in the largest of the rock houses at Temple Mount.
Madame Curie even braved traveling the ocean and lived here for a time. She was a woman way beyond her time period. Not only is it amazing that she was an incredible Chemist in 1801, but she was the first and ONLY woman to win TWO Nobel prizes in two scientific fields. She discovered radiation as a treatment of cancer, and developed mobile radiography units to provide X-Ray Services to field hospitals. Sadly at the time Radium was considered "Natures Wonder Element" for it seemed to cure so many ills and be so useful. They did not realize that their exposure to such high levels of radiation was deadly. After Madame Curie and so many mine workers died of radiation pensioning the mine was closed and sealed shut.
2D Trailer Video for VR 360 Virtual Nature Vacation to Temple Mount Mine Remains
|One of the many Tiny Rock Houses at Temple Mount. |
Madame Marie Curie's house is in the background.
AMP Web Story for VR 360 Temple Mount Mine Remains
Information about Temple Mount Mine
- Area is about 3 hours and 45 min Southeast of SLC.
- Temple Mount is in the San Rafael Swell area. This area is notorious for no cell phone service. This means that you need to make sure you download a map of the area BEFORE going in, and make sure you are ok being offline for a while.
- Temple Mount has a nice parking area that is ok for Camping at night. There are also some wonderful sites just north of the parking lot for tent camping if you are willing to hike in. There are also restrooms availabl;
- The Rock Houses are just North or the parking lot. Search around for there are at least 5 rock houses I located.
- The mine is a on a dirt road that is north east of the mine. It will require a 4 wheel drive vehicle and has some tight turns and steep drop offs on the sides.
- As you walk up the the mine from the parking lot, there is a trail that heads off on the left hand side that also walks along all the mine entrances. It is quite fascinating all the mine entrances they had up there.
|Temple Mount Mine Remains|
YouTubeVR Link for Temple Mount Mine Remains
Tiny Rock Houses at Temple Mount
Since wood was so scarce the mine workers had to use Rocks and overhangs to build their houses. Most are barely big enough for a small bed.
|One of the many Tiny Rock Houses built at the base of Temple Mountain|
Facebook Watch Oculus Link for VR 360 Video of Temple Mount Mine Remains