|Stairs Gulch Big Cottonwood Canyon Utah|
Stairs Gulch - Big Cottonwood Canyon
Big Cottonwood Canyon Utah
360 Video near the TOP of STAIRS GULCH
If you are not a fan of 360 Videos, here is a link for a 2D video just for you!
INFORMATION ABOUT THE TRAIL:
- If you watch the video above, there is a section of the trail where it really looks like it goes along the ledge on the left side of the river, and there is even an area to the left of that where people are trying to pave there way up the mountain. This is where I stopped, but on the way down I talked to a man, and he told me how often people get stuck on in trouble there, BUT the trail is so simple here, YOU JUST HAVE TO CROSS THE RIVER. The trail heads behind the rock I am standing in front of at the end. Dang. It looked so hard, but it was so simple!
- Trail is 2.5 Miles Round Trip, but realize that the whole trail is just beautiful, and there is no reason you must make it to the end. Remember going down is always a little tougher, so listen to yourself and turn when you think should.
- Trail is located across the Storm Mountain Amphitheater. I am not sure if Google Maps was accurate when I went, so watch for that landmark.
- When I first found out about this trail and learned it was Hard and listed for only Experienced hikers, I always get a little worried and want to yell.... tell me WHY it is hard. If a trail is labeled Hard I would love a checklist. Here is my checklist for you.
- FIRST Is it hard because it is easy to get lost? There are only a few places where I saw a faint trail but it didn't look right, so I STOPPED and looked around, and sure enough after looking around there is an easier trail. There is one spot by one of the larger waterfalls where the trail seriously looked like it was going to go along a ledge on the side of the Waterfalls ( and GAIA trails would say that is right), but there is a simple trail if you just cross the river. So my advice is that if the trail ahead looks hard, just stop and look around...there is an easier way.
- SECOND is it hard because it is steep with loose rocks to slide uncontrollably down the mountain?
|Stairs Gulch Big Cottonwood Canyon Utah|
|Stairs Gulch might not boast of a multitude of wild flowers, but the ones it does have are really something!|
360 GOOGLE STREET VIEW TRAIL of TOP PART Of STAIRS GULCH
|These are the cool Rugged Mountains you get to hike along and into for the Stairs Gulch Trail.|
INSPIRATIONAL MESSAGE FROM STAIRS GULCH
This is a steep hike that runs along the Stairs Gulch stream surrounded by the most fabulous and interesting steep rock faced mountains. This hike is nestled among some crazy treacherous looking cliffs and mountains, but what you find is that those who have gone before have made this a not hard trail (AS LONG AS YOU STAY ON THE PATH). There were times when I thought this trail in front of me is a little scary, and then I would STOP and look around, and there hidden was a simple easier route. I learned 2 things from this trail that can be applied to life along with this hike. First, I am grateful for those predecessors that paved a way both in my family line and with this trail that made life easier for me. Second, I learned that applying that STOP and look around and make sure there is not an easier better path also works in life. Your spirit or soul is smart and in life if we feel like we are heading somewhere scary, then listen to that gut instinct, and STOP look around and pray and find that easier better path.
360 VIDEO OF MIDDLE SECTION OF STAIRS GULCH
It is 360 degrees, so make sure you move around!
If you would prefer a 2D Version, I got you covered, here is a link for a 2D version just for you.
|This is the View from Across the Street from where I parked. It is the Storm Mountain Amphitheater.|
360 GOOGLE TRAIL of MIDDLE of STAIRS GULCH
If you are intimidated with this trail, this post by Utahs Adventure family helps. If these little guys can do it, so can you!
|Right in the middle of the photo is the trail head. You can see it is pretty well hidden from the road on the drive up.|
360 VIDEO OF THE LOWER SECTION OF STAIRS GULCH TRAIL
If you are not a fan of 360 Videos and would rather see a 2D video here is a link for you!
CURIOUS WHAT I WON'T LEAVE HOME WITHOUT? WELL HERE ARE MY HIKING ESSENTIALS.
360 GOOGLE TRAIL of LOWER STAIRS GULCH
If you don't mind a steep trails, here is my list of Steep Trails that are well maintained that are amazing that I think you might also enjoy, but YES they are all HARD.
DEVILS CASTLEDevil's Castle is a simple hike, UNTIL IT IS NOT. The only think hard about this hike, it that it gets steep. There is an easy version on the trail maps they hand out at ALTA, but this trail heads to the top of Devils Castle. I did not brave crossing the castle, but the views at the top were awesome! Question is, did you consider sitting on your butt to get down?...Yes, yes I did, not just consider, but definitely did get on my butt!
MAPLE CANYON LOOP
This one is not really that difficult, but when I think of hikes where I considered sitting on my butt, this comes up. I think I only considered it because I was dumb and left my hiking sticks in the car. Make sure you start at Middle fork, and come down Right Fork.
DING AND DANG SLOT CANYON
You know those times that you head into something that is probably harder than you should do, but because you have an amazing support system you conquer something crazy. That is Ding and Dang for me. I would totally do it again, but ONLY if I hired someone experienced to take me through. It has a warning sign at the beginning warning how many hikers they have to rescue that are not a level 4 hiker. This is amazing, but only go if you are in good shape, agile, have a buddy, and have done your homework. Question is did you end up scooting on your bum? No, it was worse, I ended up CRAWLING on a LEDGE 30 feet above the trail, and having to get help to get up and down ledges. So thankful to my Geologist Buddies from Netherlands that helped me safely through!